As the world becomes increasingly more focused on sustainability, universities are under pressure to find new ways to reduce their environmental impact. One area that universities are starting to explore is electric vehicle (EV) charging stations. The addition of EV charging stations to university campuses can increase sustainability by decreasing emissions from campus vehicles, increasing the use of renewable energy, and reducing fuel consumption.
Reasons to set up a charging station
There are many benefits for universities having EV charging stations. They include:
- Environmentally friendly: EVs produce zero emissions, so using them can help reduce a university’s carbon footprint.
- Cost-effective: EVs are cheaper to operate than traditional petrol or diesel vehicles, so using them can save a university money.
- Convenient: EVs can be charged at home or at work, so university staff and students can easily top up their battery when they need to.
- Reliable: EVs have a reputation for being reliable and low-maintenance, so universities can be confident that they won’t have to deal with unexpected breakdowns.
- Good for publicity: Having EV charging stations can be a great way for universities to show their commitment to sustainability, which can generate positive publicity.
- There are a variety of EV charging station models available, and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Level 1 chargers are the slowest but most affordable option, while Level 2 chargers are faster but more expensive. Level 3 chargers are the fastest but also the most expensive.
Read more about it here.
What to know before making any EV charging decisions
There are a few things to keep in mind before setting up an EV charging station in a university:
- Campus community needs: The needs of the campus community should be considered before making a decision to install EV charging stations. University administrators should consult with faculty, staff, and students to determine the need for EV charging stations on campus.
- Cost: The cost of installing EV charging stations can be significant. Universities should carefully consider the cost of installation and maintenance before making a decision to install EV charging stations.
- Availability of renewable energy: The availability of renewable energy should be considered before making a decision to install EV charging stations. University administrators should consult with local utility providers to determine the availability of renewable energy sources
- University restrictions: Check with the university to see if there are any restrictions or requirements in place for installing an EV charging station. University administrators should consider the campus population, the types of vehicles they drive, and the charging needs of those vehicles. Once the needs of the campus are identified, administrators can begin to develop a plan for installing EV charging stations.
- Location: Determine the best location for the charging station. It should be easily accessible for EV owners, and preferably in a well-lit and safe area.
- Installation: Make sure the charging station is properly installed and meets all safety standards.
Where to start
If you’re all set to install an Ev charging station at your university and looking for the service provider that can cater to all your ev needs, then Numocity is your one stop solution. Contact us today!